Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Grey Bonnets

Whaddya know, but I have a new B&W piece to put on the blog! After doing several pieces for the Great Chattachoochee River Paint Out, there were several things I wanted to work on, so last night I did this piece from a photo. The scene is actually a field with some bluebonnets from somewhere near Llano, TX.
My goals were to work on my edges, and I still need to work a lot more on that. A second goal was to work a bit more with the 'tree framing' composition. And lastly, I wanted to experiment with three different kinds of white and see how I'd like to use them (Griffin Aklyd, Titanium White and Gamblin's Flake White Replacement). Sometimes I like the more transparent whites (Griffin and FWR), and other times I like the opaque (Titanium). Would it be weird if my palette included three different types of white?

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you got the grey values to advance and recede appropriately in this one, Don. Nice job. Nice to see a new post. Sorry about not commenting on your new website -- I enjoyed checking it out.
    Did you enjoy the paint-out? Did you feel pressure to perform?
    I don't think anything's considered weird when it comes to choices of colors for the palette.
    ...Jan
    ps: I've been painting in color for the past month and can see I should go back to b/w to get better at values. This gives me the impetus to start working on b/w again. Thanks for helping to keep the blog alive:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comments and for checking out my new site.

    I actually had few people come by when I was painting. The Paint Out was spread out and wasn't well publicized to the general public, so I didn't have any pressure at all. I actually have drawn/painted for show before and missed having an audience. Or more specifically, missed having potential sales. It was the first Paint Out, so I suspect it'll be a lot better next year.

    ReplyDelete