Friday, June 26, 2009

What a show...

... you all are putting on!!! I'm loving watching your dedication to 'learning' and not just 'finsihed' products. I'm still proud. :)

I'm about to head to Telluride, CO for a plein air fest. Just wanted to say that I will be talking to other painters about your efforts here any chance I get.

This is a little 6x8 that I did as a demo for my son a couple of weeks ago. The entire time I was painting it I was reminding myself that if I were to make a strong image out of a very bright light situation, I had better 'reserve' and watch how bright I let the color become. What you are doing will continue to be used in your painting from here on out. I still replay the importance of this lesson every time I put paint to panel.

Happy 4th!!!


'Red Shed' oil 6c8 © Marc R. Hanson '09

5 comments:

  1. Mark, you have always been very generous in sharing your knowledge with others on Wet Canvas, your blog and workshops. Would you or maybe some of your students elaborate on the subject of "concept". If possible post paintings and indicate "concept" for examples.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'An abstract idea; a general notion." is one part of the definition that I think best fits William. Concept is the 'visual idea' that guides you towards everything else that you do in a painting.

    I don't have time right now to dig out the images, maybe will back on my blog. It's a good question and one worth discussing.

    In this painting, my idea, or concept, what I wanted to talk about, was the beauty I saw in the light falling across the front of this little red shed and it's relationship in color to it's surroundings. Everything that I did in the painting was done to support and emphasize that concept. The red shed is also a 'focal point', but that's secondary to the 'entire' design of the painting and it's support for my idea, my inspiration if you'd like. Concept is sometimes the 'thing' that stops you in your tracks and causes you to want to paint. It's the most difficult thing to grab ahold of and stick to in a painting. Paintings can evolve and often do as they're painted, but if you have a strong concept in the beginning, the evolution will be an enhancement of your concept.

    More later on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Marc--Hope you had fun in Telluride! This study is lovely! I gather from what you wrote that the trees were much brighter in the full sunlight, but that you darkened them in the painting to save the bright light feeling for the shed. It certainly worked. :-) Thanks for sharing this -- Jeanne

    PS. Thanks again for the great workshop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marc, Apologies for the Mark, I know better.I hope it's not a mark against me. :0)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.