Sunday, June 14, 2009

June 14, 2009 BW & Color!

First of all, Don, and everyone, please consider this OUR blog. I am happy this will evolve and appreciate that the lessons keep on coming.









Yesterday afternoon I went out to paint. It was a perfect, rare day. The temperature was in the 70's--very balmy. I was determined to do a quick black and white study and move on to color. I did the BW study--as you can see, very quickly. I didn't resolve the sky and didn't hit the right value for the foreground. But I knew that and felt I could resolve those issues easily. I forged ahead with a very limited pallet: Ultramarine Blue, Alizarin Crimson, Cadmium Yellow Light, White and Black. I felt I was successful in getting the right values. The sky was a bit of a challenge. The sky I was seeing behind my trees was not the sky I wanted to paint. I borrowed the clouds from a different part of the sky. This was liberating. Often I tend to be so literal.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Jan, and nice stuff! I like your range of green, especially with the limited palette and one yellow. Great composition too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it a lot that you "think outloud" about your process when you paint. This really hits a chord with me.

    ReplyDelete