Sunday, June 21, 2009


I got to paint the morning of my wedding day (yesterday) with a good friend of mine, Dorian Vallejo. In order to visit with guests, we set up at the town square in Madison, GA so folks could stop by and hang out with us. This was a big hit and we got to do some plein air and still be sociable. It was my first city scene and I wanted to post it here, because Marc's lessons on value composition really saved me here. It was a tough subject given the time constraints and the fact I had to also entertain. But while I have some things that I wish were much better, I got something because I had a clear overall concept and value proportion to work with it. In order to get the effect I wanted, I did make the darks darker, and the lights lighter and warmer. I'm not sure how this would've even have turned out if I had done it before the workshop. Dorian also gave me some great tips and did a very nice painting that resulted in a cool wedding gift for Kate and me.

7 comments:

  1. Wow! Congratulations Don, on all fronts. The painting is wonderful--the sense of light coming from the right reads very well. I'm also glad to see something in color:-)
    The circumstances surrounding the painting are also very special. What a great wedding day memento. You're a brave and talented man to paint in front of your guests.
    Very best wishes for a wonderful marriage.
    ...J

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool way to document such an important day of your life. Your beautiful painting will always evoke the feelings and thoughts you had on that special day. Good for you and best wishes to you and your bride!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am speechless. You're an inspiration on many, many fronts. May your married life be as full and rich as your paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations to Don and Kate. The painting is really nice and what a great way to celebrate. Very good work on the edges and values! Happy Honeymoon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks guys! I'm going to paint while in Hawaii, but I doubt I'll do any B&W work. So check out http://journal.donthacker.com if you'd like to see what I do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Don,

    Hope you are enjoying your honeymoon! I really like the light siding in from the right in this painting. The front of the building being in shadow makes it look mysterious and even surreal. The perspective is excellent and all those windows and doors look "true". I love your story about how you painted it on your wedding day!

    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. This ia a nice painting, Don. You should keep doing some city scenes. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.