Sunday, June 14, 2009

I didn't do a B&W, but I did go out and paint today and I thought I'd share some of the things I tried from Marc's workshop. As he instructed, focusing on the value composition is my second thought after determining my concept. What a great lesson just with those two steps. The b&w and 4 panel studies definitely helped as I went back to do a color plein air. Today I used a lead primed panel for the first time. It is the L219 from New Traditions Art Panels. This is the panel Marc used in the final demo. I actually didn't like it as much as using his pumice powder recipe, as it was fairly slick and the paint came off sometimes as I was making marks. However, it does have a great look to it, and after some of the paint started to set up, it worked very well. I also used the Griffin Mixing White at the beginning of the painting which dried quickly and made it easy to work over. It doesn't cover very well and I was working on a ground, so I used Titanium White at the end. Using them in combonation this worked very nicely. You can see what I painted over on my blog, http://journal.donthacker.com.

I know the blog started with the B&W Challenge (obviously), but I would like to hear from the rest of the group in this manner as they reflect on/try other things from the workshop and even beyond (unless Jan thinks otherwise, she is the admin after all). I would be interested in what you guys have to share, especially since we know that we are working from a similar place, and I'm not sure how often folks will be working in black and white. I do plan to do a nocturnal black and white sometime soon, but I may have to wait until the days start getting shorter.

3 comments:

  1. Don, the value range in "On the Scent" really defines the planes and draws the viewer in. The tree in front is exquisite.
    I, too, hope people will continue to share whatever they are working on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don, another Q for you. What does Kate do while you're painting? How long do you spend, on average, per painting and/or before your lovely companion begins to exhibit boredom and restlessness? I imagine it is like my riding along in the golf cart (pre-art days) and pretending to be interested.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Gin! And Jan, that is a good question. Going to places where she can read or do something helps, but bringing the dog is the best option. If it is a populated area she talks to the onlookers and that helps both of us out. I'm going to start working more in 8x10 (11x14 is my typical) to speed things up for her. Sometimes it is helpful to have the pressure so I focus and get it done. I try to do my pieces in under 2 hours, because longer and the conditions usually change anyway. Obviously, the complexity of the subject is a factor. I have done some of my best work in about an hour. Actually, if it is taking me longer than 2 hours, I probably have some fundamentals missing and taking more time doesn't fix that.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.